Arts Jobs - DetailHelga Wall-Apelt Associate Curator of Asian Art
The John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
Primary responsibility is serving as curator of the Asian Art Collection of the John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art. This is an endowed non-tenure track faculty position.
- Oversees care and makes recommendations for growing the Asian art collection.
- Researches and documents the Asian art collection to include interpretation and translation of foreign documents.
- Develops publications about the Museum's Asian Art collection.
- Plans and coordinates temporary exhibitions, which supports The Center for Asian Art.
- Supports the Curatorial and Collections teams and special projects as needed. Creates project plans and budget.
- Works with Accounting department for exhibition or loan contract reviews.
- Monitors project expenditures.
- Conducts tours of the art museum and specifically the Asian Art wing.
- Develops associated docent training materials pertaining to the collection in conjunction with the Education Department.
- Teaches and mentors interns and fellows.
- Participates in donor cultivation, outreach, and lecturing in the community.
- Interfaces with colleagues at the national/international level.
- Master's Degree in a related field and three years of related work experience.
- High level knowledge of Asian art.
- Ability to read at least one Asian language.
- Knowledge of collections management and the responsibilities of compliance with the American Association of Museum's policies and procedures.
- Skill in public speaking.
- Ability to conduct original and secondary research in the field of Art History.
- Ph.D. preferred plus two to three years of curatorial experience.
- Experience working with donors, major museums, and galleries.
- Experience in conducting original and secondary research in the field of Art History.
- Fluency in Chinese or Japanese language preferred.
The Ringling is a preeminent center for the arts, history, performance, and learning that is dedicated to bringing the past and contemporary culture to life through extraordinary visitor experiences. From its inception, The Ringling has joined the diverse visual traditions and theatrical spectacle of yesterday with the genre-defying global practitioners of today. A place of exploration, discovery and respite, The Ringling’s campus in Sarasota, Florida—which includes the Museum of Art, Circus Museum, a historic home, an 18th-century theater and bayfront gardens—is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As the State Art Museum of Florida and part of Florida State University, The Ringling fulfills an important educational mission. The Ringling offers formal and informal programs of study serving as a major resource for students, scholars and lifelong learners of every age across the region, country, and around the world. For more information, please visit www.ringling.org
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anticipated Salary Range
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting.
This is an endowed non-tenure track faculty position.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Open until filled
This position is being advertised as open until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
Phone:941.359.5700 ext 2605