Arts Jobs - DetailMarketing & Events Coordinator
Glendale Arts/Alex Theatre
The Marketing & Events Coordinator is a member of the Marketing & Events Department of the Alex Theatre, a historic 1,400-seat performing arts and entertainment center located in Glendale, CA, and reports to Glendale Arts’ Director of Marketing & Events (or the Director of Theatre Operations while working in a house management capacity).
The Marketing & Events Coordinator supports the department’s various event-related functions, including administration and front-of-house operations, in addition to coordinating marketing and social media tasks and campaigns related to events taking place at the Theatre and promotion of the Theatre itself, plus assisting with special projects as assigned.
This is a temporary, full-time position during which the employee will undergo training to transition into an Event Manager, which entails overseeing the life cycle of events and performances that are assigned to her or him upon confirmation on the Alex Theatre calendar and includes serving as the on-site House Manager on the day or night of each event and in some cases, load-in/tech/rehearsal days. Marketing will remain a core component of the employee’s focus after transitioning to the Event Manager role. The Event Manager hired for this position will primarily handle the venue’s film screenings, corporate meetings and events, film and television shoots, and a variety of media and entertainment industry events.
The majority of the Marketing & Events Coordinator’s time will be spent in an office setting and involves working in a collaborative team environment and interfacing with the organization’s clients, patrons, vendors and service providers, colleagues in the community, supporters, and donors.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Glendale Arts Administrative Office
- Works with the Event Managers to ensure that client contracts, deposits, insurance coverage, and all event-related documents and materials are sent, received, processed, filed, and entered into the Glendale Arts database in a timely manner.
- Coordinates payment and mailing and/or pick-up of post-show settlement checks.
- Assists with responding to and resolving client and patron complaints involving tickets, seating, concessions, settlements, and other related issues.
- Implements social media plan as directed by Director of Marketing & Events, on platforms that include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Coordinates activity related to promotion of Alex Theatre events and a variety of Glendale Arts events and programs through graphic design, street teams, online outlets, and additional channels.
- Prepares monthly and custom enewsletters using Constant Contact.
- Updates content on Alex Theatre website using Wordpress.
- Updates the Alex Theatre app.
- Updates and maintains assorted media lists.
- Assists with press release writing and distribution.
- Assists with the planning, research, asset-gathering, writing, printing, and distribution of the Theatre’s seasonal print production.
Alex Theatre House Manager (Training)
- Will receive training in all areas of house management actively on-site during events as well as off-site.
- House management training will involve working with various departments and operational areas, including Front-of-House, Back-of-House, Box Office, Concessions, Volunteer Ushers and Ambassadors, security, crowd control, reception services, merchandise sales oversight, and more, in addition to adjusting approach and execution based on event type.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or educational institution preferably in a discipline(s) related to the position, or may substitute work experience for education.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of event management, event publicity, and media outlets and familiarity with on location filming.
- Interest in the performing arts, live entertainment, special events, and film and television industries.
- Detail-oriented writer, planner, and thinker.
- Ability to prioritize daily task list, problem solve, and handle various projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
- Adept at meeting department and operational goals, whose timelines and levels of importance can fluctuate as necessary.
- Possesses excellent customer service skills.
- Maintains professional demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and proofreading skills, including the ability to write reports, correspondence, agreements, and other documents.
- Team player who works well with others in sometimes stressful environments.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Computer proficiency required, including familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Filemaker database software, and Constant Contact, in addition to social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Working knowledge of Wordpress, Photoshop, and InDesign preferred, but not required.
- Fluency in a second language is preferred, but not required (Armenian and/or Spanish is particularly desirable).
- Possession of a valid California motor vehicle operator's license and proof of automobile insurance coverage.
- Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Marketing & Events Coordinator is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will regularly use the telephone, computer, and two-way radio handset or headset. The employee will occasionally use a cash register.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the Marketing & Events Coordinator is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but is occasionally loud.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the position. No phone calls please.