Arts Jobs - DetailSenior Accountant
Asian Art Museum
San Francisco, CA
Under the supervision of the Controller, the Senior Accountant performs a variety of professional accounting work requiring a strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). S/he manages the accounts receivable and revenue functions; supports the structure, integrity, and content of the general ledger; reviews and approves general journal entries; analyzes, reconciles, and reports general ledger accounts in support of preparing financial statements; and, assists in the development of financial policy and procedures. The incumbent supervises a Junior Accountant and other staff as appropriate.
1. Reviews, and approves general ledger batches from Junior Accountant for posting; ensures the accuracy and appropriateness of general ledger coding; closes accounts receivable and revenue functions on a timely manner.
2. Trains, directs, supervises, and evaluates a Junior Accountant in the provision of a variety of accounting duties.
3. Works with Retail Store: produces and reconciles daily sales report to daily cash receipts; verifies bank deposits to cash receipts activity in the general ledger system and the retail POS system; oversees change requests, stores safe transactions, and deposits to bank; ensures mathematical accuracy.
4. Assists in the maintenance of the retail POS system: assists in identifying, tracking and correcting discrepancies between computer and physical inventory to ensure accurate information on the system; reconciles retail/POS inventory to general ledger.
5. Works with Development department: reconciles Raiser’s Edge to Accounting and the bank; assists in grant reporting; manages special event accounting; tracks memberships; reviews donation entries; tracks pledges; and reconciles credit card donations.
6. Oversees Admissions tracking: reconciles foundation deposit to entry to City’s accounting system; supervises cash pickup and change order requests; reconciles admission data to Accounting; matches credit card transactions to admissions report.
7. Oversees Rental revenue tracking: reconciles deposits and refunds. Calculates interdepartmental chargebacks and posts on a timely manner.
8. Assists the Controller in compiling monthly financial reports to the CFO, the Accounting & Finance departments, and other stakeholders. Assists other departments on reporting as needed.
9. Processes monthly entries and releases such as prepaid and depreciation. Tracks and reports on various fund releases and income streams i.e. acquisition and lease tracking.
10. Assists in annual audit process and the required annual closing of the financial records and related tax filings; prepares assigned audit schedules at year end.
11. Participates in continuing education to improve & remain current on accounting changes and industry best practices.
- BA/BS in Accounting
- Three (3) years of accounting and finance experience including previous work in the areas of general accounting and accounts receivable; retail accounting experience a plus.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Strong Excel skills and familiarity with computerized accounting systems.
- Ability to train, mentor, supervise, and evaluate staff.
- Ability to: analyze, post, balance, and reconcile accounting records and financial statements; research and analyze fiscal and statistical data; utilize problem-solving skills; to maintain and verify accuracy of financial data and information.
- Ability to: work independently as well as collaboratively; establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relationships with museum staff and vendors.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and proven accuracy; excellent time management, organizational skills, and good follow through. Ability to process sensitive information.
General office environment. Requires excellent visual acuity and manual dexterity to work at computer for sustained periods of time.
Competitive salary and benefits package.
Apply online at http://asianart.snaphire.com/?job=10157CAC
* The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 18,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity.*
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.