Arts Jobs - DetailProgram Manager
Young Audiences of Northern California
San Francisco, CA
Passionate about art education? Dream of collaborating with artists on enriching experiences for young people? Want to spend your days bringing arts curriculum to students all around the Bay Area—24,000 of them a year (and counting)?
Young Audiences of Northern California (YANC), a leading provider of arts experiences for youth throughout the Bay Area since 1958, seeks a creative and passionate program manager to work full time to help us achieve our mission of providing arts experiences that inspire young people, expand learning, and enliven communities.
Today, young people receive dramatically fewer opportunities to engage with art than youth did just 25 years ago. At Young Audiences, we counter that by working with schools and communities to present engaging arts programming that touches Bay Area students who might not otherwise have access to the arts. But our ability to do this hinges on having the right program manager to lead the charge – is this you?
If You Are
- A self-starter who is able to learn from past processes but can ultimately develop your own systems
- A “people person” with strong customer service skills who can get along with artists, administrators, students, coworkers and board members, all with diverse backgrounds
- Both creative in big-picture, strategic thinking and also detail-oriented and reliable in execution
- Versed in the arts and enchanted with the idea that viewing art performances could be part of your job
- An exceptional writer
- Inspired by the opportunity to grow and develop a program that is both life-changing for kids and financially sustainable
- Able to understand the story that data tells and develop stories yourself from data
- Excited to go home each day knowing you are improving the lives of Bay Area children and getting things done
Then this might be the job for you!
The Program Manager’s purview will include:
- Program Administration: Consulting with schools and other venues to schedule arts programming; maintaining records including sales numbers, contracts, and invoices; developing and maintaining budgets; providing regular reports for both internal and external use; and following up to secure payments for services.
- Program Design: Working with artists to develop their offerings with an eye on curricular integration as well as overall depth and breadth of YANC offerings.
- Artist Management: Liaising with our roster of artists to continue their professional development and growth as teaching artists as well as recruiting, training and onboard new artists as needed.
- Program Management: Traveling within the nine Bay Area counties we serve to observe and assess the programs we offer and connect with both venues and artists. At times, managing volunteers, PTA parents, or community members as you plan and execute school or community festivals or other forms of public programming.
- Marketing, Sales & Fundraising: Spreading the word about what we do, creating new strategies for growth, and participating in the overall health and dynamism of our organization. Project lead in creating marketing collateral for our organization and our artists and managing our website and social media presence.
- Networking: Strategically participate in industry association gatherings, conferences, training and advocacy efforts when possible.
The successful candidate will have most of the following qualifications:
- Background in arts and/or education and the ability to articulate the benefits of YANC programs with enthusiasm and clarity;
- At least two years of experience in programming, communications, community engagement, or related field
- Demonstrated success in program delivery and program sales within schools or equivalent
- Project management, analytical, critical thinking, facilitation, and written and oral communication skills
- Basic background in Salesforce or any other CRM
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc
- Ability to evaluate progress against goals and adjust for improvements as needed
- Ability to optimize communication techniques for audiences and dialogue partners of diverse racial/ethnic/cultural backgrounds, religious backgrounds, ages, community sectors, etc.
- Familiarity with K-12 education, National Core Arts Standards, and California State Department of Education Visual and Performing Arts Standards
- Prior non-profit experience or knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree a bonus, and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in Squarespace and robust social media a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish or Chinese also a plus
We are on the eve our of 60th anniversary and poised for all types of strategically creative expansion. For the right person, this job represents a unique and exceptional opportunity to come in and make something grow. You’ll be part of an intimate team of three full-time staff members working together with a highly accomplished board to make our well-run organization even stronger. Your vision will have profound effects on our future and our ability to serve both students and artists symbiotically.
Our Board of Directors, staff, artists, and community partners are comprised of creative, diverse, and dynamic individuals that value authenticity, curiosity, self-discovery, self-expression, understanding, and connection. We leverage differences in work and learning styles to maximize our efforts and deliver outstanding experiences. We work hard and enjoy having fun. Most importantly, we believe in the mission and support one another in our personal and professional endeavors.
Send an email with the subject line “YANC Program Manager” to email@example.com.
Please attach: your resume and a one-page or less cover letter detailing why you believe you would be a great fit for this position. No phone calls please.
Deadline: May 15, 2017
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
For more about YANC: http://www.ya-nc.org/
Young Audiences seeks candidates that nurture our commitment to providing outstanding services that impact diverse and multicultural children, families, artists, and community members. Young Audiences is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.