Arts Jobs - DetailChoir and Musical Director
Los Angeles, CA
Choir and Musical Director
2017−2018 School Year
Marlborough School, an independent, college preparatory school in Los Angeles for 530 young women in grades 7-12, seeks a dynamic Choir and Musical Director to join the faculty for the 2017−2018 School year. This is a part-time position.
Marlborough’s Mission defines the School as “an independent, urban day school serving a diverse group of young women.” We believe a diverse faculty is essential to the Mission of the School, for the following reasons:
- We instill confidence and cultivate leadership potential within each student and serve as role models in inspiring them to pursue their personal best.
- We arm each graduate with the skills and motivation to create meaningful connections with people throughout the nation and across the world.
- We serve as role models for our students with teaching responsibilities that extend beyond the classroom and the curriculum.
It is our responsibility to employ a diverse group of educators who exemplify excellence in teaching and leadership, and teach by example as well as by pedagogy.
The Performing Arts Department at Marlborough is made up of a faculty of artist-practitioners with an abiding sense of mission as educators. As a department we are committed to artistic integrity inside of a learning environment. Students are exposed to a professionalism that they will meet when they enter the wider world and to a diversity of artists and artistic styles.
Our training and programming is designed to nurture creative minds, strong and expressive bodies, and articulate voices; to stoke the creative impulse, and to energize and contain that impulse through the various containers required by performance. Our programs are designed to enable students to form an experiential appreciation for the creative process, to develop personal commitment and collaborative competence, to develop an appropriate level of technique and skill in their chosen disciplines, to communicate effectively about their genre, and to recognize artistic quality, so that they are empowered not only as artists, but as future patrons of the arts. Our productions are ambitious and intentional, with high artistic and production values, and are often chosen or created to address issues that are relevant to our community.
Marlborough School is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic Choir and Musical Director for 2017-2018. We are looking for an innovative candidate with a knowledge of vocal development and a creative embodied approach to choral music and performance. The ideal candidate is a passionate and skillful musician/educator, who is eager to invest their artistic skills in our music program.
- Teaching Middle and Upper School vocal music courses.
- Leading Middle School and Upper School Choirs.
- Directing winter and spring concerts and extra-curricular musicals.
- Designing sound for extra-curricular theatrical productions.
- Guiding student-led musical and vocal groups, including vocal coaching for soloists.
- Accompanying music for school events.
- Possesses at least a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, although a graduate degree is preferred.
- Has at least three years of demonstrated success teaching and directing mixed-level choirs in a high-performance academic setting.
- Has professional and/or academic experience as a Musical Director and conductor for musical productions.
- Has professional and/or academic experience as a Sound Designer for theatrical productions.
- Is experienced at curricular development and interested in maintaining and pursuing best pedagogical practices.
- Is philosophically committed to teaching the diverse study and performance of the musical heritage of all genres including: Western Classical (prior to 20th Century), Twentieth and Twenty-first Century, Spirituals, and music from Non-Western cultures.
- Demonstrates mastery when arranging vocal and instrumental parts.
- Enjoys and is skilled at transposing challenging music.
- Is an exceptional piano accompanist and able to sight read.
- Has the ability to work independently as a production leader, as well as part of a collaborative team.
- Has strong written and oral communication skills.
- Is able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Has expertise in using and integrating musical and sound engineering technology.
Address: 250 S. Rossmore Avenue