Arts Jobs - DetailTechnical Director
Los Angeles, CA
2017−2018 School Year
Marlborough School, an independent, college preparatory school in Los Angeles for 530 young women in grades 7-12, seeks a dynamic Technical Director to join the faculty for the 2017−2018 School year.
Marlborough’s Mission defines the School as “an independent, urban day school serving a diverse group of young women.” We believe a diverse faculty is essential to the Mission of the School, for the following reasons:
- We instill confidence and cultivate leadership potential within each student and serve as role models in inspiring them to pursue their personal best.
- We arm each graduate with the skills and motivation to create meaningful connections with people throughout the nation and across the world.
- We serve as role models for our students with teaching responsibilities that extend beyond the classroom and the curriculum.
It is our responsibility to employ a diverse group of educators who exemplify excellence in teaching and leadership, and teach by example as well as by pedagogy.
The Performing Arts Department at Marlborough is made up of a faculty of artist-practitioners with an abiding sense of mission as educators. As a department we are committed to artistic integrity inside of a learning environment. Students are exposed to a professionalism that they will meet when they enter the wider world and to a diversity of artists and artistic styles.
Our training and programming is designed to nurture creative minds, strong and expressive bodies, and articulate voices; to stoke the creative impulse, and to energize and contain that impulse through the various containers required by performance. Our programs are designed to enable students to form an experiential appreciation for the creative process, to develop personal commitment and collaborative competence, to develop an appropriate level of technique and skill in their chosen disciplines, to communicate effectively about their genre, and to recognize artistic quality, so that they are empowered not only as artists, but as future patrons of the arts. Our productions are ambitious and intentional, with high artistic and production values, and are often chosen or created to address issues that are relevant to our community.
Marlborough School is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic Technical Director to join its Performing Arts Department for the 2017-2018 school year. This person will provide leadership for the technical direction of all of the Performing Arts curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular productions. This position will also support the wider Marlborough School community by supervising the technical operations and resources of the performance venues, including lighting, sound, and projection support for community events. The ideal candidate is an innovative and experienced problem-solver, a skillful leader with a ‘can-do’ attitude, and an experienced educator who is eager to invest their artistic and technical skills in the Performing Arts program. This position reports to the Producing Director and the Co-chairs of the Performing Arts Department.
- Supporting the artistic vision of directors and designers through budgeting, scheduling, and managing all phases of production, including design and construction, from rehearsal to performance.
- Enforcing policies and procedures for facilities use and resource allocation.
- Providing instruction and training to students in at least one of the following areas: scenic design and construction, lighting design and rigging, sound design and engineering, costume design and construction, projection design and realization, stage management and rehearsal etiquette.
- Supervising contracted labor, volunteer parents, and student crews.
- Managing and maintaining facilities, equipment, and inventory.
- Designing either set, lighting, sound, projections, or costumes for performing arts productions throughout the school year.
- Possesses, at minimum, a Bachelor of Arts Degree in a related field of study.
- Has at least three years of professional or academic experience working as a Technical Director, professional Stage Manager, Production Manager, or other comparable professional work.
- Is able to turn designs into technical drawings and/or computer renderings.
- Possesses extensive knowledge and leading-edge interest in technical production.
- Is skilled in scenic construction and/or electrics.
- Schedules, manages, and maintains a multi-use space and provide technical support (basic lighting, sound, and projection) for community events.
- Manages and maintains an inventory of lighting and audio-visual equipment.
- Runs or assists in running and maintaining a scene shop, replete with a full inventory of construction tools and production supplies.
- Demonstrates mastery in at least one area of theatrical design.
- Enjoys and is skilled at managing and leading diverse constituencies of students, professionals, and volunteers in project-specific work calls, such as load-ins and strikes.
- Is an exceptional and creative problem solver.
- Maintains a ‘can-do’ attitude and a calm disposition, even when major challenges arise.
- Demonstrates a superb work ethic and excellent organizational skills.
- Has the ability to work independently as a production leader, as well as part of a collaborative team.
- Has strong written and oral communication skills.
- Is proficient with EOS software and ETC Ion family lighting consoles, Qlab, Mac, Isadora, and Microsoft operating systems, as well as Vectorworks.
- Has a valid driver’s license
- Is able to lift 60 lbs.
- Is able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Is interested in maintaining and pursuing best pedagogical practices as they relate to technology and the Performing Arts.
Address: 250 S. Rossmore Avenue