Arts Jobs - DetailAssociate Experience Developer
Oakland Museum of California
Oakland Museum of California
Req No 2017-1206
Category Experience Development
Type Project Part-Time
Closing Date ..
Targeted Job Start Date 8/1/2017
- The Oakland Museum of California values are fundamental to our institutional culture and guide our work together.
- Excellence: We are committed to excellence and working at the highest standards of integrity and professionalism.
- Community: We believe everyone should feel welcome and part of our community, both within the Museum and with our visitors and neighbors.
- Innovation: We embrace innovation and calculated risk-taking to achieve our mission.
- Commitment: Our work at the Museum demonstrates a sense of purpose and a shared accountability for the institution's success.
This position will support the research, development and implementation of an exhibition on hip hop style and wisdom specifically overseeing the recruitment and facilitation of a youth advisory group, plus developing and implementing live in-gallery exhibition elements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following reflects OMCA's definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. OMCA may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Support the Museum's mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience, community engagement, and institutional relevancy for the future
- Contribute to and support the OMCA strategic plan, annual priorities, and institutional initiatives such as diversity advancement
- Contribute to a positive organizational culture based on mutual respect, a spirit of collegiality, cooperation, and openness to many perspectives
- Participate in a culture of ongoing learning, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and community engagement
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide assistance with overall experience development for an exhibition on hip hop style and wisdom including object, prop, image and media research; prototyping support; AV/tech sourcing and coordination in partnership with Events Production and Technology teams
- Lead the inclusion of youth voices and perspectives in the exhibition specifically through the recruitment and facilitation of a youth advisory program; facilitate the conception, planning and implementation of in-gallery and exhibition-related programming by youth for youth; supervise youth volunteers and interns as needed
- Lead the research, development and implementation of regular live, time-based in-gallery exhibition elements including dance, spoken word, music, art making etc.; provide onsite coordination and supervision of all live and time-based exhibition elements; coordinate all activities with Public Programs and Learning Initiatives teams
- Work with Associate Director, Evaluation and Visitor Insights to develop methods and protocols to measure in-gallery program impact and reach
- Assist with volunteer, staff and docent training related to the exhibition; conduct tours for stakeholders and public as needed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A combination of experience and education that demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge and abilities for this position is required as noted:
- Demonstrated experience working with young adults (ages 16-24)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Bay Area and Oakland hip hop scene
- Experience developing, implementing and managing public events or programs
- Ability to work periodic evenings and weekends as needed through March 2018; schedule shifts to Friday through Sunday March through August 2018
- Ability to think and act on your feet to solve problems and respond to the public
- Passion for working in the public sphere
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines, and work independently
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Google Apps
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to the following:
- Noise, such as groups of people working in enclosed areas
- Typical office environment
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
The Oakland Museum of California is a multicultural organization, committed to diversity and practicing equal opportunity employment in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for open positions.