Arts Jobs - DetailArchivist
California Humanities seeks a contract archivist to lead an organizational archiving project initiated in recognition of our 40th anniversary. Primary responsibilities will be to: 1.) survey, catalog and arrange organizational records, programmatic and grantmaking histories, and grant-supported projects, 2.) plan and implement an archiving protocol for physical and digital assets, 3.) develop and implement a strategy for inclusion of materials in an online archival database. This is a temporary project-based position based in Oakland.
California Humanities is an independent non-profit state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Founded in 1975, we have produced, funded, and supported hundreds of humanities-based projects and programs, cultural experiences, and meaningful conversations throughout the state of California. In all, California Humanities has awarded over $29 million in grants across the state. For more on California Humanities’ work and current programs, please visit www.calhum.org. In recognition of our recent 40th anniversary, California Humanities has initiated an archiving project to survey, catalog, preserve, and share our organizational and programmatic history.
Scope of Work
Under the direction of and in collaboration with California Humanities staff, the archivist will be responsible for surveying, arranging and cataloging items in California Humanities’ collection, consisting of organizational records, programmatic documents, photographs, audio-visual materials, grantee-produced materials, digital assets, and more.
- Conduct a detailed survey of all physical and digital archival items;
- Arrange and sort collection as necessary, noting preservation problems;
- Create a box-level inventory and finding aids for materials according to national archival standards;
- Develop and implement a digital archiving strategy;
- Plan and implement internal archiving protocol and processes, including but not limited to:
- The development of an internal archiving policy and archival records management protocol;
- Best practices for storage and preservation of archival materials, including media and digital assets
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program with a concentration in archival management;
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience in a library or archives;
- Demonstrated experience processing and cataloging archival collections;
- Demonstrated experience with online archival databases;
- Knowledge of current principles and methods of professional archival and special collections library procedures;
- Proficiency with DACS and EAD (technical requirements are TBD);
- Excellent writing and computer proficiency, including Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Ability to work well independently and efficiently, collaborate well as part of a team, prioritize tasks and balance projects;
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
- General familiarity with the humanities field and associated terminology.
Location: Oakland, CA
Hours: 20-40 hours/week depending on applicant availability and project needs
Start date: ASAP
Duration: Up to 3 months from the date of hire with possibility of extension
Compensation: Pay rate based on experience and qualifications
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, résumé and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submittal is July 7, 2017.
California Humanities is an equal opportunity employer and believes in a diverse work force, and applicants from all communities are encouraged to apply.