Arts Jobs - DetailMusic Mentor
Los Angeles, CA
Music Mentor for RuckusRoots’ Chimes for Change Program
Description of Organization and Program
RuckusRoots is a Los Angeles-based 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a more creative, sustainable Los Angeles through community art programs for underserved youth.
Chimes for Change – one of our integrated art, music and technology programs, empowers Los Angeles youth to “chime in” about how they want their community to change.
In Chimes for Change, these teens use recycled and found materials to create wind chimes. Participants learn how to use digital software to record their chimes, and turn those sounds into electronic music compositions. Finally, both visual and audio art works are publicly displayed to to engage both students and viewers in sustainability issues impacting their local community.
The curriculum blends 4 components: sustainability education, visual arts education, music education and community activism and leadership. A combination of experiential learning and leadership from professional mentors results in a versatile lesson plan that reveals the connection between sustainability, creativity and community. It also gives students the tools they need to translate education into action.
As Music Mentor for this program, you would be responsible for leading 4-5 sessions with a group of 15-20 youth in an afterschool program in South L.A. Each session is 2 hours.
Session Topics are as follows:
Music History and Theory
How to Convey a Message through Music
Working with Software and Sound Recording
- As you will be teaching an all-female class, female applicants are strongly preferred
- Educational experience with middle and /or high school students
- Reliable, positive attitude
- Strong personality, not shy speaking in front of a group
- Passionate about music and arts education
- Comfortable working with technologies like Ableton, Logic Pro and various music apps; tech-savvy
- Proficient using iPad
- Electronic music production proficiency, with a background creating, performing or teaching about electronic music.
- Comfortable building on existing curriculums with own thoughts and ideas
- Available on Tuesdays 2:45-5pm
- Must have reliable transportation to/from program site
Compensation: $20 per hour
If interested please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org