Arts Jobs - DetailEducation Associate
Los Angeles, CA
GEFFEN PLAYHOUSE SEEKS EDUCATION ASSOCIATE
Geffen Playhouse seeks a highly qualified theater professional to join the Education & Community Engagement department on a full-time, salary basis, starting September 1, 2016.
The Education Associate will play a key role in the successful implementation of Geffen Playhouse education and community engagement programs, which aim to provide outstanding artistic experiences and learning opportunities to students and community groups across Los Angeles.
Geffen Playhouse is a nonprofit professional theater arts organization, formally affiliated with UCLA that is dedicated to enriching the cultural life of Greater Los Angeles through plays and educational programs that inform, entertain and inspire.
EDUCATION & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Geffen Playhouse’s education and community engagement programs provide underserved young people and adults the opportunity to attend plays and experience how theater can enlarge their understanding of themselves, others and the world. Actively exploring the plays’ themes and how theater is created and presented helps participants connect to the plays in meaningful ways. Engaging in theater-making gives community members a voice and helps educate and inspire audiences. Wherever possible, activities strengthen learners’ critical thinking, writing and speaking skills. As much as the Geffen aims to contribute to the wellbeing of students and community members, it also believes they bring unique perspectives to the work and seeks to align its programs with their aspirations.
- Collaborates with Education & Community Engagement team and other departments to schedule, coordinate and implement projects including: Geffen Playhouse Literacy Project, High School Partnerships Program, Lights Up and Veterans Writing & Performance Project
- Reports directly to Manager of Education & Community Engagement
- Manages and tracks administrative tasks for multiple projects
- Coordinates and distributes surveys, rosters and other educational materials for all project personnel
- Oversees the acquisition and distribution of supplies
- Supports lead facilitators and team members before, during and after on-site and off-site workshops and events
- Provides teaching assistance as needed
- Provides customer service and ticketing support for Lights Up program
- Maintains the general upkeep of space and materials used by the Education & Community Engagement department
- Attends departmental meetings on a weekly basis
- Proofreads all outgoing materials
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned
- Exceptional organizational abilities, initiative in carrying out and completing time-sensitive projects and attention to detail, in a fast-paced working environment
- Outstanding interpersonal, collaborative and communication skills
- Passionate about advancing as an arts education professional
- Capacity to be a gracious, resourceful, upbeat team player, under pressure
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook programs
- Experience with survey entry preferred
- B.A. or B.F.A. required
- Highly desirable: Teaching Artist experience
TIME & TRANSPORTATION
- Must be able to commit to full-time work starting September 1, 2016
- Must be available to coordinate and support events on some evenings and weekend days
- Has own transportation to travel to and from school sites and organizations in various communities, including but not limited to: East Los Angeles, South Los Angeles, Westchester, San Fernando Valley
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Geffen Playhouse offers full medical, dental and vision benefits to full-time salaried employees, at a minimal cost to the employee, and a $25K life insurance policy. It also provides paid government holidays;
4 paid personal days; 10 paid sick days; 2 weeks of vacation time (to start).
Please send a cover letter that includes why you are passionate about arts education, your résumé and three professional references to email@example.com
DEADLINE: July 22, 2016. No phone calls, please.
Geffen Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer and will not unlawfully discriminate regarding any employee, applicant, intern (paid or unpaid) or volunteer. It is a policy of the Geffen that employment shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence.