Arts Jobs - DetailGuest Curator, Education, Exhibitions and Community Engagement
Background and Position Overview
Marfa Contemporary is an arts education and exhibition space focused on the community and features recent works by regional, national and international artists. Working with other nonprofits it is the organization's intent to encourage community interest and participation in its programs. Marfa Contemporary is dedicated to encouraging artistic expression in all its forms through education and exhibitions. We endeavor to instill in the public a lifetime appreciation of the arts and enthusiasm for creative practice. Exhibitions and classes for children and adults are offered throughout the year free of charge.
Marfa Contemporary is seeking a Guest Curator to support experimentation with the current model; to introduce more programming, collaboration and community engagement. Two upcoming exhibitions are scheduled but must be fully developed, including creating months’ worth of original programming that welcomes local organizations, artists, students and the community at large.
Title: Guest Curator, Education, Exhibitions and Community Engagement
Reports To: Executive Director, Oklahoma Contemporary
Curate museum-quality exhibitions and extensive community and education programming through summer 2017, with the possibility of continuing into fall. Specifically:
- 2 exhibitions that have been scheduled and require development
- A robust schedule of education and cultural programs (including the potential for a festival) that draw upon local cultural resources as well as artists featured in the exhibitions
- Potential artist(s) in residence
Support evolution of Marfa Contemporary into an active center for the arts. The Guest Curator will develop, test and provide feedback on new approaches, including:
- Display and interpretation that promote education and community engagement
- Partnerships and collaborative programming that foster the development of local artists and arts organizations, including smaller potential partners such as Marfa Live Arts and Marfa Studio for the Arts
- Multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary programming
- Installations and projects that promote creative exchange between visiting artists, local artists and/or the community
Oversee all curatorial/programming administration and other functions to ensure adherence to standards for exhibition presentations, programming and communications, and efficient overall processes.
Oversee exhibition production, including graphics, registrar duties, and art handling and preparation, to ensure the implementation of the exhibition program at the highest level of quality and efficiency, with appropriate contract staff.
Coordinate with Oklahoma and NY-based leadership to define goals and realize objectives of exhibitions and education programming.
Work closely with Oklahoma-based Controller to ensure effective development of and adherence to programming budgets.
Oversee and coordinate multiple activities with current Marfa-based Gallery Administrator.
Serve as spokesperson with media, sponsors, VIPs, partners, etc.
Support fundraising efforts by speaking with potential donors/sponsors and providing information to support the development of grants.
- MA in Art History, Education, Museum Administration or equivalent experience
- 5+ years curatorial experience including exhibition and public program planning/implementation, fund-raising, communications, and budget management
- Collaborative work style and experience developing partnerships/collaborations
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Up to 6 months on the ground in Marfa, with potential travel to New York and/or Oklahoma
Contract fees commensurate with experience
Expenses for travel and lodging/transportation in Marfa provided
Send letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 19.
Applicants may be interviewed on a rolling basis so kindly submit materials as soon as possible.