Arts Jobs - DetailExhibitions/Facilities Manager
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art
Exhibitions/Facilities Manager – Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, Sonoma, CA
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art is a leader in fostering community, creativity and arts education in the North Bay and beyond. SVMA is seeking a dynamic and talented Exhibitions/Facilities Manager to lead design, production and coordination of exhibitions and oversee the safe, secure, effective, efficient operations of the Museum’s physical plant. This position reports to the Executive Director.
The nature of the work requires strong technical abilities and excellent management and communication skills.
- Confers with Executive Director, curators, artists, other museum departments, and staff from other institutions, in planning for the design and construction of exhibitions; manages and supervises installation and deinstallation of exhibitions; leads exhibition planning teams; in consultation with other team members, determines detailed production schedules, time and cost estimates, and general procedures.
- Hires and supervises contractors (preparators, lighting technicians, painters, electricians, plumbers, HVAC, solar) and integrates their work, coordinating with other departments, as needed. Consults with Education and Community Outreach department with regard to planning of exhibition space to accommodate in-gallery art programming.
- Designs exhibition text panels, labels, announcement cards, and exhibition related collateral materials.
- Supervises condition reporting. Processes loan agreements with artists, collectors, galleries and other museums.
- Develops and administers the departmental budgets, and assists in the development of exhibition and special project budgets.
- Ensures adherence to safe workplace practices and procedures in the operations of the Museum and in the handling of art. Adheres to AAM best practices in collection management.
- Attends exhibits, programs receptions and presentations.
- Receives, unpacks, packs and coordinates shipments.
- Oversees the successful functioning of the Museum’s physical plant, ensuring all systems are maintained, creating a safe and secure environment. Maintains tools and equipment.
- Coordinates technology systems (office systems, main server, exhibitions and programs technology).
- Assists with program set-up (moving furniture into place, special technology, lighting set-ups, etc.).
- BA in art history, Museum Studies or related field from an accredited college or university; Masters Degree preferred.
- Three - five years' of progressively responsible experience in exhibition planning and coordination, preparation, construction, design, and installation in a museum setting, including at least two (2) years of supervisory and management experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Ability to collaborate with staff and outside vendors and partners including fabricators, preparators/art handlers, curators, graphic designers, professional colleagues, and supporters
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with museum staff, representatives from other arts institutions, consultants, artists, and vendors
- Ability to plan, prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Ability to draft, negotiate, and manage contracts and other legal agreements
- Ability to ensure adherence to the museum’s brand in all activities
- Facility with word processing, Excel, and email
- Strong budget and project management skills
- Strong graphic design skills. Proficiency with design software.
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills; a solutions-oriented, diplomatic problem solver and true team player
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Experience with carpentry, knowledge of materials, processes, equipment, and safety
- A working knowledge of HVAC, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems is highly desirable.
Some night and weekend work required. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., drive 15’ truck, climb ladders, stoop and bend. Occasional local and overnight travel may be required. Other duties may also be assigned.
To Apply: This position remains open until filled. Please forward resume and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications to email@example.com.
For More Information on the Museum:
Please visit our website at: www.svma.org