Arts Jobs - DetailDevelopment Director
Destiny Arts Center
To be a part of a collegial community of talented professionals dedicated to the power of the arts to transform the lives of young people, families and our communities.
For nearly 30 years, Destiny Arts Center (DAC) has served as a formative cultural institution for thousands of Bay Area youth and their families. DAC is committed to supporting young people as they develop their skills as artists, global citizens, and advocates for peace in their communities and beyond. Our North Oakland arts center offers sliding scale martial arts and dance classes for young people ages 3-24, houses two youth performance companies and two resident adult companies, and hosts local artists who provide martial arts and dance classes for the broader community.
Destiny Arts Center is seeking a bright, creative and seasoned Development Director to develop, oversee and implement Destiny Arts Center’s fundraising strategy. The candidate will be a member of Destiny Arts Center’s Executive Team, and will work closely with the Executive Director, the Deputy Director and the Board. He/she will be responsible for leading a comprehensive $1,000,000+ annual fundraising program including Major Gifts, Annual Fund, Peer to Peer Fundraising and Special Events. As part of the Executive Team, the Development Director will be a full time, senior position. As such, we are seeking candidates who have 5+ years of development experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Development Director manages the overall fundraising activities of Destiny Arts Center, in close liaison with the Development Team, Board of Directors, and the Executive Director. Responsibilities include:
- Plan and implement a strategic fundraising program to meet organization's funding objectives and consistent with Destiny Arts Center’s strategic plan.
- Direct DAC’s fundraising campaigns focusing on corporate and foundation grants and partnerships, annual fundraising targets, major and planned gifts, annual appeal, and annual event
- Develop and implement a strategy for securing government grants in collaboration with program team
- Examine development trends and analyze their implications for the future of Destiny Arts Center
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship
- Build a culture of philanthropy at Destiny Arts Center: determine what donors hope for, ways donors can build community, and opportunities to participate in the life of Destiny Arts Center and engage in both onsite and school and community programs
- Cultivate relationships with current donors and foundation partners
- Work with current and new donors to secure larger grants for general operating
- Develop stewardship program and oversee the acknowledgement of donors
- In close collaboration with the Executive Director, manage and execute an inspiring communications strategy that speaks to our diverse audience of donors, clients, partners and the public
- Tell our story well by overseeing the writing and production of all fundraising communications (print, video, digital etc.) through a voice that is aligned with our brand and our culture
- Work closely with development staff to prepare quarterly Board reports, annual development report and campaign analytics
- Supervise the development team, including the Director of Grants Development, Development Administrator and Communications/Marketing staff, as well as contract event planners and grantwriters.
- Utilize a broad spectrum of management and leadership strategies to develop and support development staff in execution of fundraising targets
- Lead annual review process, goal setting and professional development plans including identifying training opportunities
- In collaboration with Executive and Deputy Directors, oversee key performance indicators and establish regular systems for evaluation
- Manage and ensure accuracy of fundraising systems, databases, and reporting
- Recommend and execute IT improvements
- Support development staff in researching, developing, and submitting funding proposals
- A strong commitment to the mission, goals and work of Destiny Arts Center.
- 5+ years of development experience
- Project Management experience
- Proven fundraising track record
- Excellent people and communication skills working with youth, parents/guardians, community members, fellow staff members and funders.
- Comfortable in a multi-task environment with frequent interruptions and short deadlines, and sometimes a high degree of pressure.
- Schedule is M-F with some evenings and weekends as needed
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to function in an energetic, multicultural community-based non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- High integrity, outgoing personality, excellent interpersonal skills, sense of humor, flexibility and ability to work in a collaborative setting.
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Salesforce.
Competitive and inclusive of generous PTO, health, dental and family benefits
How to Apply:
We are actively accepting applications on a rolling basis. To apply: email a resume, cover letter and writing sample with the subject line: 'Development Director' to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only complete applications will be accepted. No phone calls or inquiries.