Artists Activating Communities (AAC) supports sustained artistic residencies in community settings, demonstrating that artists are integral to healthy communities and that the arts are a societal cornerstone that brings people together, builds community, and fosters social progress. AAC centralizes artists and their artistic processes as vehicles for community vitality. AAC Projects are artist-driven, and engage community members as active participants.
Artists Activating Communities
- A California-based nonprofit arts organization or local arts agency, OR a social service/community nonprofit organization. Organizations such as libraries, housing agencies, senior centers, cultural centers, or hospitals may be eligible to apply.
- Use of Fiscal Sponsors allowed in this program.
- Projects that include multi-generational or life-long arts learning components may apply.
- School-site based arts education programs, or after-school or summer arts education programs serving PreK-12 students may not apply.
Projects demonstrate how artists are integral to healthy communities and how artists’ projects can bring people together, build community, and foster social progress. Artists and their artistic processes are the center of project activities.
Thoughtful and engaged creative processes will encourage people to be active in their communities. Artist-driven projects will foster shared understanding and a sense of community through participation in the arts.
- AAC Reference Application
- AAC Application Ranking guide
- Online Application instructions
- Apply Online
- Grant Writing Tips
All applicants to this program are required to complete a DataArts Cultural Data Profile (CDP) profile and submit a Funder Report along with their application. Access or create your account, and complete this part of your application at DataArts.
Guidelines & Application Available:
November 1, 2016
Application Deadline - Extended:
February 3, 2017, 5:00 PM
Panel 1 - February 27 - March 1, 2017
Panel 2 - March 6 - March 8, 2017
Grant Activity Period:
June 1, 2017 - May 31, 2018